Stay Safe During the Heat Wave
Heat Wave!! Our staff are used to working in varied environments and always take working temperature extremely seriously.
During this current heat wave many of us will be faced with the prospect of having to work through the weather.
Working in extreme heat without control measures in place can be extremely dangerous. Extreme heat can pose a challenge to the body’s temperature control system. If the body does not cool properly, there is a potential for heat-related illness. Heat-related illness can take different forms, ranging from general fatigue to muscular cramping to life-threatening heat stroke. It is important that as employers we take care of ourselves our staff and those we serve.
Some general recommendations during extreme heat.
- Drink plenty of non-alcoholic, caffeine-free beverages. Water is the best choice. It is important to drink fluids regardless of thirst because you can become dehydrated without being thirsty.
- Wear light-coloured and loose-fitting cotton clothing where possible.
- Check regularly on colleagues and other workmates.
- Try to eliminate as much strenuous activity as you can.
- Eat small meals and eat more often.
- If you are working outdoors, stay out of direct sunlight where possible and seek shade.
- Wear lightweight, light-coloured, loose-fitting clothing that permits sweat to evaporate where possible.
- If you must be outdoors, use a sunscreen with a SPF of at least 30 or higher.